- Macao is seeking to develop the high and new industry to facilitate the establishment of the international innovation and technology hub in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area and contribute to high-quality national development.
- Macao has founded four state key laboratories to propel wider co-operation between industry, university and research sectors and for the commercialisation of research results.
State Key Laboratory of Analog and Mixed-Signal VLSI
State Key Laboratory of Internet of Things for Smart City
State Key Laboratory of Lunar and Planetary Sciences
- In 2021, the SAR government completed the restructuring of the Economic and Technological Development Bureau and the addition of the Technology Department, as well as the revision of the administrative regulations of the Science and Technology Development Fund, forming an upstream and downstream relationship in the scientific and technological innovation chain and facilitate the industrialisation of scientific research achievements. The two departments have established a work group to jointly push forward and support high-quality Macao science and technology enterprises to carry out industry-university-research collaboration with national key laboratories, and utilise scientific research resources of higher education institutions to support the long-term development of Macao’s science and technology enterprises. So far, it has facilitated a number of Macao science and technology enterprises engaged in integrated circuit design, network security, artificial intelligence, and enterprise networking to carry out industry-university-research collaboration projects with local higher education institutions.
- The Tax Incentive Scheme for Science, Technology and Innovation Business came into effect in April 2021, which provides companies operating the aforesaid business with various tax incentives, such as stamp duty, property tax, profits tax and salaries
- In response to Macao’s technological development policies, the Science and Technology Development Fund has been providing financial aid for various projects that can strengthen Macao’s capacity and competitiveness in conducting scientific research and facilitating innovation, and released the amended Regulations of Fund Granting in May 2021.
Furthermore, in order to assist Macao enterprises in addressing their technical needs and enhancing their ability to carry out R&D and undertake upstream scientific research achievements, the Science and Technology Development Fund established the “Online Industry-University-Research Matching Platform” in the second half of 2021, and launched the “Funding Scheme for Industry-University-Research Partnership for Enterprises”.