Macao’s Basic Information
- Macao is located on the southeast coast of China and on the west coast of the Pearl River Estuary. It is 60 kilometres from Hong Kong and 145 kilometres from Guangzhou.
- As of the first quarter of 2022, the total population was around 682,000 and the total population in employment was around 371,000, 40% of them have received higher education, indicating that the city has reached the level of developed regions in Asia in this aspect.
- It has a land area of 32.9 square kilometres and a sea area of 85 square kilometres.
- Located in the East Asian monsoon region, it is hot and rainy in summer, sunny and fresh in autumn, and dry and fairly cold in winter.
- In addition to Chinese, Portuguese is also used by the executive, legislative and judicial authorities and is also named an official language of Macao. Cantonese is used on a daily basis, and English is widely used in trade, tourism and commerce.
- Macao is equipped with comprehensive infrastructure, extensive and efficient air, land and marine transport networks
1. Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal
Providing cross-border ferry services for passengers travelling between Macao, Hong Kong and Mainland China.
2. Taipa Ferry Terminal
3. Inner Harbour Ferry Terminal
4. Governor Nobre de Carvalho Bridge
Macao Peninsula, Taipa and Coloane are connected with three bridges and a landfill area
5. Amizade Bridge
6. Sai Van Bridge
7. Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge
The 55-kilometre-long Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge is a sea crossing connecting Hong Kong, Macao and Zhuhai, through which travellers can shuttle between the Hong Kong International Airport and Macao in less than 30 minutes.
8. Border Gate
9. Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge – Macao Port
Joint Inspection and One-Time Release is implemented
10. Macao Port Zone of Hengqin Port
11. New Guangdong-Macao Crossing Point (Qingmao Checkpoint)
Macau International Airport
- As of late May 2022, the airport provided passenger and cargo flights (including helicopter services) to a total of 29 destinations.
Macao Light Rapid Transit (LRT) Taipa Line
- The 9.3-kilometre-long Macao Light Rapid Transit (LRT) Taipa Line serves stations spanning major residential communities, old villages and tourist areas in the centre of Taipa also connects to border ports.
- In addition, the project to extend the LRT Taipa Line to Hengqin is currently underway.
Convenient telecommunication service
- Telecommunication services have been constantly improved, including international communications and Internet.